Sunday, November 8, 2009

Trying to Have a Baby

One thing I always find a bit interesting is when a married couple tells people, "We are trying to have a baby." In no other context do I encounter people openly proclaiming, "We are having a lot of sex." It's not the worst when attractive people say it, but when you get two ugly people, the mental picture can be disturbing. Can't you just say something like, "We'd like to have a baby"? I guess the thing that perplexes me so much is imagining myself saying it to people. I don't know if it becomes normal when you are married, but I will never tell my parents that I am having sex. As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to tell them about my sex life, and I'm sure they don't want to listen to me telling them about my sex life. And it might be a little awkward for my hypothetical wife, just like when she tells her parents, and her father thinks, "this jackass is screwing my daughter." Although I am sure my future father-in-law will think better of me. Probably. So when (maybe more of an "if" at this junction) I am married, you will never hear me tell you "We're trying for a baby." I'll just let you know when she is pregnant.

No comments: